Thursday, May 1, 2008

Rant Alert: Thursday is the Best Night of TV. Ever.

Yes, this is mainly because it's 11 p.m. and I rather not study for my history final, but I've got to put it out there: if you don't watch TV on Thursday evenings, you're missing out.

"But ohhh Mark, you can't live if you're sittin' in front of the boob tube all night maannnnn!" Well guess what, random hippie doubter I just spontaneously created for pacing purposes, I AM living. And laughing, and loving. Because three of the best shows I've ever seen are somehow back to back to back from 9:00 to 11:00. That kind of thing doesn't happen naturally - God wants you to watch television with me.



First off, 30 Rock is the closest thing you'll get to Arrested Development these days. The writing surpasses anything Tina Fey did on SNL, and it utilizes the epitome of an ensemble cast. People keep saying that the AD/30 Rock comparisons are a bit of a stretch, but watch a bit of both and you'll see what I mean. If you have a brain, you'll find it funny.



Then, if you're reading this and have never chosen to watch The Office, you're pretty much a lost cause. They've even put more into the love storylines just to draw fence sitters like you in. And even when they compromised some of the awkward gold for "aww" moments, it's still great television. Steve Carrell does so much of the same thing, yet it continues to make me laugh.

Neither of these great comedies use the traditional sitcom multiple camera sets or laugh tracks - coincidence? No, just good rules to have to make a show worth watching.



And then LOST. LOST is the hardest argument to make, considering you have to treat catching up with the series like a part time job - it will take you eight hours a week for a three month period if you're starting from scratch - but if you've got the time, it's so worth it. LOST is easily my favorite non-comedy of all time, blowing Heroes and 24 out of the water effortlessly. It's use of flashbacks and flashforwards keeps you interested for the entire episode. Even the bad episodes are good.

I thought I had a point to this, but I guess I don't. Other than you should stop scratching your balls / vagina and watch some great TV on Thursdays.

No comments: