Thursday, January 3, 2008

Portrait of A Blog

As I begin to write this post, I realize that this is an impulse blog. Before I define the term 'impulse blog', I must check urbandictionary.com to see if this is conquered territory

Impulse Blog isn't defined yet.

So far, so good.

I have, on many occasions, attempted to get a blog off the ground, and have failed in different degrees. The first of course, was back in the xanga days of yore, when fresh-faced high schoolers used the internet to chronicle their tumultuous school life, publicly smear rumors, and on special broccasions, debut bizarre poetry that may still embarrass them to this day.

Naturally, I was attracted to this online community. Rather than publicize anything personal, I decided to create the first spoof blog (at least that I had heard of), a parody of what I had read, with my good friend Brian as the creative vehicle:

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Currently Playing
Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Vol. 1-2
By Billy Joel
see related

I've had a busy day. No time for DDR.

It started at 7 AM. I, naturally, had been up for two hours, and was perfecting building playing card castles. Why, you ask? Because I'm going to be an engineer or architect. I need practice. Then, Jimmy came down, panicked. He told me he needed gummy bears. A lot of gummy bears. Now, normally I'm happy that he's home from college, but when he refuses to drive to costco for twenty pounds of gummy bears because of his fear of potholes on the interstate, I get a smidge peeved.

When I got home, he said I got the wrong kind. So I just took the car and drove away.

Three hours later, after touring the tristate area, I got back and he was gone. So then it was time to mow the lawn. Boy, do I love to mow the lawn. Just me, the tractor, and my 1st draft of my diary entry, on the open field.

Nobody commented on my lyrics to the American Studies song. I guess you need the piano accompaniment for the full effect.

Now I have to babysit justin. We're going to have a kareoke battle. He just might win.



( http://www.xanga.com/BriWinslow/262623726/item.html)

Simple, but entertaining. The xanga lived on for about a year, increasing in oddity each post. Though the thought crosses my mind every three months or so, I have never fully committed to bring back BriWinslow, as it has lost it's charm. On one hand, it was great to have an outlet for my bizarre thoughts, and I do consider this my first foray into comedy writing, but the fact that I can't try to convince people that it REALLY is Brian writing these things now is slightly discouraging. I mean, I really had the whole blogring going for awhile.

Secondly, many have credited me with the spinoff xanga, MarEdward. Though I had a hand in it's genesis, I did not write it.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Currently Listening
Weird Al Yankovic - Greatest Hits, Volume 1
By "Weird Al" Yankovic
see related

Sometimes i like to pretend i am zorro and run around the house. but i feel guilty about writing Zs everywhere so i only write them over sleeping peoples heads.

i like catching mosikeetoes too and putting them in a jar on my desk.

if you'd like too know i have been busy and currently i am about done counting the number of geommetrik shapes in my house.

Nick told one of his loud friends that he is superman, so he is a liar.



Personally, I find MarEdward to be funnier than BriWinslow. In just fashion, Brian wrote 'my' blog while I wrote 'his'. While I used self-aggrandizement and satire as my tools of the trade, Brian wielded non sequiter better.

Lastly, after being influenced by the fantastic Kissing Suzy Kolber, I tried to start an NFL blog of my own, Team Ron Mexico.

Saturday, March 3, 2007

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Jeff

If you ask me, the Buccaneers dodged a bullet when Jake Plummer decided to retire rather than challenge Chris Simms for the starting job in Tampa Bay.

The Bucs are now reportedly saddled with Philadelphia comeback sensation Jeff Garcia, who was rumored to go to the Oakland Raiders for this season. This is great news for both teams, as Garcia is coming of a high note in his once wilting career (almost leading the suprise division-champ Eagles to the NFC championship), and the Raiders would present the 37-year old former Pro Bowl Quarterback a myriad of problems.

Garcia is an emotional player, and the hunger he still has from his 6-2 run with the Eagles will make him a fierce competitor in Tampa Bay. The good news is, this is a win-win situation for the Bucs. Garcia will either push Chris Simms to his potential in training camp, making the young quarterback the franchise player he was always supposed to be, or he will be a great short-term solution for the Buccaneers by taking the reigns himself. If the former occurs, the Bucs will have both a great starting quarterback and a great backup.

With a rejuvenated offensive line and the possible acquisition of Calvin Johnson in the draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be a force to be reckoned with...


Not bad, especially that the now NFC South Champion Bucs are favored against the NY Giants in the Wild Card game this Sunday, but this post was an anomaly. I swayed between overconfident predictions and tongue-in-cheek joke posts, while consistently searching for the best pun headline. But there wasn't much to write about in the offseason, and when the season finally came, I was busy watching football.

So here I am. Starting the next chapter in the Blog-ble (Like 'Bible'!) according to me. Will this just be another book in the old testament, where people look for excuses to stone the gays? Or is this the new testament in my blogdom?

During the composition of this post, I have thought of what function my blog will serve. My friend Andrea, for example, has a blog she has used to expose the masses to her creative writing.
I read Gandalf, We're In Somalia whenever there is anything new. I could post creative writing of my own.

Another idea would mimic the template set out by Derrick Comedy member DC Pierson. Ham Fisted Theatrics is a melange of creative writing, personal entries, and cognitive leaks that I have taken to reading on a weekly basis. The idea of having to write creatively in a consistent manner (like DC's Story-Thons) is appealing, as well as the flexibility to write about what's going on in my life every once and awhile.

On top of that, My PR professor that impressed me last semester also has a blog. As a photojournalist, most of his entries are pictures. I'm not much of a photographer, but I do like his blog.

And here I am, at the end of my inaugural post, without a specific category for this blog. And it will stay that way. The problem with my past attempts at a consistent blog (all two of them) was the commitment to one genre. So enjoy the ride - A special brocassion is going to be whatever it needs to be at the time.

No comments: