Sunday, May 11, 2008

I Think I'm Ready To Embrace The NHL

If you've held a conversation me more than three times, it's likely that I have shared my plight with you - I am obsessed with the NFL, and face a horrible, horrible entertainment recession after the Super Bowl annually.

I tried to follow Baseball - the games seem insignificant, you can lose dozens upon dozens of games and still make it to the playoffs. Throw that in with the length of the games, and how am I supposed to me as emotionally invested as I am when watching the gridiron? Don't get me wrong, I'll go to the park to watch the Phils and have a great time while enjoying a bucket o' Crabfries, but it doesn't come anywhere close to football.

Basketball was even worse, on both the collegiate and professional level. For the record, I prefer the NCAA - March Madness is like the entire season compressed into a month, which helps the less than die-hard fans. But Penn State faithfully sucking is fairly discouraging. And do the professionals even try for the first half of the season? One half, Kobe's bitching about how he wants to be traded, the next he's playing at an MVP level.

But since I've gotten back, I've discovered that our cable plan carries Versus - the network that plays the NHL games that aren't picked up nationally.

And, at the conclusion of the second game of the Penguins - Flyers series, I have to admit, I think I've found my savior.

The game is just flat out exciting - players can score at any time, power plays completely change the momentum of the game, and the fights - oh, the fights. That's like an added bonus. I realize I'm jumping on the bandwagon a little late here, but I can see myself following a team faithfully.

I think what impressed me more than anything is the passion from the Fans - all the white towels and raucous fans packed into Mellon Arena reminded me a little bit of Beaver Stadium. Going to a home playoff game for an NHL team is now on my Bucket List.

And one added note - I haven't OFFICIALLY thrown my weight behind a team yet, but I currently reside in a Pens household. I'll try to keep my opinions to myself so I don't get accused of being a fairweather fan on either side. Maybe I'll pull something like my brother Nick and randomly claim I'm an Anaheim Mighty Ducks fan.

And as an added bonus, some appropriate Youtubage. More commercials should be this good -

No comments: