Monday, May 5, 2008

Superhero Movie Orgy (Iron Man 2 Already on The Way)


"Buoyed by the blockbuster success of "Iron Man" over the weekend, Marvel Studios on Monday announced plans for a string of superhero properties, including an "Iron Man" sequel set for April 2010."

Iron Man kicked some serious ass this weekend, and for the most part, it should have. The casting was pretty well done, and visual effects by Industrial Lights and Magic (George Lucas' Company) made the whole experience enjoyable.

But I really hope they don't "fast track" Iron Man 2 - a possibility with the release date of 2010 already set. For as much as I enjoyed the first of the series this Friday, I had some problems with it. Cutesy scenes where the little boy on the ferris wheel drops his ice cream watching Iron Man fly by really added nothing. Lines like "and now I'm going to kill you" (spoiler: Iron Monger says it) actually made me laugh. Batman Begins had a little bit of levity (The headline "Drunk Billionare Burns Down Home" comes to mind), but it didn't distract from the plot at all.

I guess that's what I want every one of these upcoming superhero movies to be - Batman Begins. I don't care, completely copy the style. Batman Begins is my standard for any superhero movie because it took a wilting movie franchise, stripped it down and made it better than it ever was. The scary thing is that The Dark Knight is likely to be even better.

So Iron Man 2 should look to do the same - it's predecessor didn't set the bar nearly as high, so why not? Tighten the script up a little - make it darker. X-men degenerated from it's original so much that the third installment tried too hard to be funny ("Nobody heals faster than you, Logan" / "You of all people should know how fast the weather can change [Storm]").

The first movie did well in some areas - getting Sam Jackson as Nick Fury, as well as the apparent cameo of Tony Stark in the upcoming Hulk movie (which should not suck because Ed Norton is awesome, but there is no guarantee with any actor's involvement) - so it would be a shame for its sequels to follow the path of Spider-man's - yeah, that was me thumbing my nose at the third movie. Tough shit if you don't agree.

I guess there has to be a payoff at the end of this rant:

No comments: