Sunday, June 1, 2008

Fuck You, I Like This Artist

I am being lectured by my brother nick for my preference for what he calls "songs by a fatty whore bag that were popular for a half of a day before they became utter jokes."

Now, at first, I was inclined to take offense to his opinion, as I have long criticized the trash that tops the TRL charts and reaches the top of the Billboard Hot 100 (Lil' Wayne's Lollipop, I'm looking at you.) However, since college (and downloading free music), my tastes have expanded, and I am no longer the classic/modern rock purist. On top of that, he listens to shitty 80s music that people who actually lived during the era don't even remember - and worse, Ska.


So, this is the inaugural edition of what may be a reoccurring feature, simply entitled: Fuck You, I Like This Artist. Because you know what, not all songs are going to be as uniquely musically crafted as Stairway to Heaven. In fact, most are recycled melodies and shallow lyrics packaged by a slick marketing firm. But damn, some of them are catchy.

So this edition's artist is none other than Katy Perry.


Ms. Perry, (who is not fat by the way, and I would say not a whore, but the truth is I've never met her so I couldn't tell you) was recommended by Broseph Jared, who typically is the source for the new Akon jam. Perry grew up as the daughter of two pastors in Santa Barbara. She released a Christian Gospel CD in 2001 under the name Katy Hudson before taking her Pop Rock approach to music.

You may know her for her hit song "Ur So Gay" (Below), which apparently has been around for a while. Perhaps I dismissed it immediately when she decided not to spell out 'You're.' It's gotten some buzz recently because Madonna mentioned it was her current favorite song in a radio interview.
What really hooked me was "I Kissed A Girl." Yes, all you have to do is hint lesbianism and I will give your song a chance. But in all seriousness, while 'I Kissed A Girl' isn't going to blow anyone away with musical complexity, it will get inside your head. Perry's pipes, along with the long lost cousin of the drum beat from Gary Glitter's 'Rock and Roll Pt. 2' make for a pretty good pop hit. The video, sadly, does not deliver on any assumed promises.
If you like what you hear, you may want to consider buying Katy Perry's album, One of The Boys, on June 17th.

If you don't and you think I'm a loser for liking either of these songs, Fuck You - I Like This Artist.

No comments: